Maine Coon Colors: How To Tell Them Apart
Maine Coon breed is one of a kind. One feature that attracts people is – the 85 different Maine Coon colors and patterns to choose from.
Regardless of what color Maine Coon you pick or end up with, there is one thing that is certain. You’ll love these gentle giants for their loyal and friendly personality.
Factors That Affect Maine Coon Color
If you have set your mind on getting a Maine Coon cat as a pet or your Maine Coon is pregnant, you might wonder about Maine Coon colors and what are the options. As mentioned, there are minimum of 85 Maine Coon colors and patterns.
However, what affects the coat color, would be down to genetics. What your Maine Coon color would be, depends on the parents’ coat pattern. The following are tell signs that can help you predict Maine Coon color:
- Male kittens would always end up with both color genes from the mother
- Furthermore, the male kitten would end up with either the exact color of the mother or a more transparent version of her color
- However, female kittens can be a mix of the father’s and mother’s coat color
The mentioned rules, can help you predict what your kittens’ coat pattern might be.
Maine Coon Color Variations
The Maine Coon is a popular American cat breed that has been domesticated for years. This beautiful and proud looking cat comes in a range of different colors and shades.
Overall, the two main colors in all Maine Coon cats are black and red. Therefore, any other color variations and patterns come from these two primary colors.
However, there is an exception which is – solid white. As the white is also known as a masking gene, it means that the Maine Coon color is actually black or red but it’s overpowered and hidden by white.
The most popular coat coloring for a Maine Coon is brown tabby or tiger striped.
However, the most common solid Maine Coon colors include:
Maine Coon’s coat has layers. Therefore, the colors can be different from surface layer to the layer underneath. For instance, there can be a solid color on the top and a pattern underneath.
Maine Coon coat patterns include:
The variety of the Maine Coon colors means that there is wide range to choose from. Especially, if you’re like myself and like cats with multi colored coats.
However, all Maine Coon cats, regardless of their coat color, are beautiful and deserve a loving home.
Maine Coon solid colors means the cat’s coat consists of one solid colour. Although, the black and red are the primary colours, the cat can inherit “dilute” genes which turns the black in blue and the red into cream color.
Solid colors can sometimes have different traits such as:
- These colors can have different shades. Therefore, the solid colors can sometimes look slightly different
- In some cases, the solid colors can have slight tabby marking. This is called “ghost marking” as it’s so transparent. Normally, the ghost markings appear on red or cream Maine Coons
As mentioned earlier the main solid colors include:
A solid white Maine Coon cat would appear as pure, sparkling white. In addition to the coat, the nose and the paw pads are pink in color.
Black Maine Coons are coal black from the roots of their fur to the ends. In addition, this Maine Coon color includes a black nose and paw pads that are either brown or black.
This Maine Coon color is one shade from nose to tip of the tail. The nose and paw pads are blue.
The red Maine coon appears in rich and clear red without any shading or markings. In addition, their lips and chin match the coat color. Whereas, the nose and paw pads are brick red.
This Maine Coon color consist of one shade of cream, without any markings. However, the nose and paw pads are pink in color.
Maine Coon Patterns
As mentioned previously, the Maine Coon’s coat can also come in different markings, also known as patterns.
Maine Coon patterns include:
Maine Coons with tabby coats come with stripes that are in solid colors. They are also known as tabby markings.
Even with tabby markings, there is still wide range of shades in color. For instance, some red Maine Coons would have a deep red color and others – lighter red. On the other hand, blue Maine Coons can be a light blue or a dark navy blue.
However, a common characteristics of tabby coats is a white chin and white around the eyes.
The following are Tabby pattern variations:
- Classic Tabby – Black Classic, Blue Classic, Red Classic, Cream Classic, Tortie Classic, Blue Tortie Classic
- Silver Classic Tabby – Black Silver Classic Tabby, Blue Silver Classic Tabby, Red Silver Classic Tabby, Cream Silver Classic Tabby, Tortie Silver Classic Tabby, Blue Tortie Silver Classic Tabby
- Mackerel Tabby – Black Mac Tabby (Brown), Blue Mac Tabby, Red Mac Tabby, Cream Mac Tabby, Tortie Mac Tabby, Blue Tortie Mac Tabby
- Silver Mackerel Tabby – Black Silver Mac Tabby, Blue Silver Mac Tabby, Red Silver Mac Tabby, Cream Silver Mac Tabby, Tortie Silver Mac Tabby, Blue Tortie Silver Mac Tabby
- Silver Shaded Tabby – Black Silver Shaded Tabby, Blue Silver Shaded Tabby, Red Silver Shaded Tabby, Cream Silver Shaded Tabby, Tortie Silver Shaded Tabby, Blue Tortie Silver Shaded Tabby
Tortoiseshell coat pattern is also known as Tortie. This term refers to pattern of the tortoiseshell of a turtle. Tortie pattern is a combination of two solid colors – red and black.
Most Maine Coons that have this pattern are female. This is due to the red and black color being on the X chromosome. Since females are XX, they would have both red and black.
The main color on most Tortie coats is black. However, the amount and density of the red can vary.
Every Tortie coat has its own unique color pattern. Therefore, if you want a cat with a unique coat, a Maine Coon with a Tortie coat is the one for you.
This is a variation of Tortie pattern. It’s the result of tabby stripes added to the Tortie pattern which then becomes a Torbie. The Torbie coat consists of patches of red or cream. In addition, most Torbies have red on their feet.
Maine Coon coats can consist of white patterns. The white in their coat is a result of the white spotting gene. The location and density of the white can vary. The following are white Maine Coon patterns:
- Mitted Pattern – When the white only appear on the paws, chest, chin and belly
- Bi-color Pattern – When the white appears further up the legs and on the face
- Van Pattern – White is the main color of the cat’s coat. However, there are colored patches on the coat that are usually located on the face and tail
Bi-colored coats are a mix of white and another color. In some cases this pattern also includes white marking on the cat’s face. However, it always presents with white on their chest, belly and all four paws.
The following are Bi-color variations:
- Black and white
- Blue and white
- Red and white
- Cream and white
Is There Correlation Between Coat Color And Personality?
Some people are convinced that there is connection between Maine Coon’s coat color and their personality. For instance, some believe that black Maine Coons are goofy. On the other hand, some have experienced ginger Maine Coon’s to be naughty and mischievous.
There is no scientific proof that there is a correlation between your Maine Coon’s coat color and their personality. However, you can be certain of one thing – any Maine Coon you get you will love for their friendly and loyal personality.
Learn more about Maine Coon characteristics by clicking here Maine Coon Characteristics – What Is A Maine Coon
The Maine Coon is a beautiful cat that looks proud and is very large in size. When choosing your new pet, one of the first things you’ll notice is the wide range of Maine Coon colors!
As we discussed in this article the Maine Coon colors are presented by at least 85 different combinations and patterns. Therefore, if you are picky when it comes to your cat’s looks or want a totally unique cat, Maine Coon is the one for you!
The Maine Coon solid colors include:
Maine Coon patterns include:
However, it’s important to remember whatever color your Maine Coon is, their personality is one of a kind. They will love and be loyal to anyone that cares for them!
What Are Maine Coon Coat Characteristics?
The Maine Coon’s coat is characterized as heavy but silky. Although, their coat has a shaggy appearance due to it being longer in the stomach and legs area, it appears shorter over the shoulders.
The Maine Coon cat is known as the only longhair cat breed that is native to the United States.
Maine Coon Cat Grooming
As Maine Coons are large cats with a beautiful long and thick coat, it’s important you look after it. However, it’s not only their coat that needs upkeep.
- You should brush your Maine Coon’s teeth weekly. This would help prevent dental disease
- Trim their nails once every two weeks
- Wipe the corners of the eyes often using a soft, damp cloth. This is done to remove any discharge
- Check your Maine Coon’s ears weekly. If they appear dirty, you should wipe them with a soft damp cloth soaked with a 50% cider vinegar and 50% warm water. However, don’t use cotton swabs as that can damage the interior of the ear
- Bathing your Maine Coon – If you are to wash them, it should be done once a month. Moreover, washing them would help remove any excess dander, reduces shedding, and maintain your cat’s thick fur
What Are Maine Coon Eye Colors?
Although, one of the most prominent Main Coon characteristics is their pointy and long ears, it’s their large eyes that gets them the nickname “social queens”.
The eyes of these social queens can give out a fierce or sweet look. But whatever that look is, they always appear welcoming with their big eyes.
With that said, Maine Coon’s eye color characteristics can be any of the following:
Their eye color would solely depend on the parent’s genetics.